Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Entry 2: Scene Construction

Day 1: Part 2
Now that we have our idea, it took us some time to come up with an opening and we have an idea now but nothing is set in stone. I was a little uneasy about Nick's idea only because he is OBSESSED with Quentin Tarantino. Given he is one of my favorite director, I really didn't see the film being a dark comedy. I just saw the film being dark and emotional. It was just clear that Nick and I were looking two different ways.

 For the art direction and the lighting I was looking more towards the path taken from the film opening of  Room. The close ups used throughout the scene created curiosity and intrigued me, they were shallow focused and the shots that were seen were oddly confusing. Objects that were shown, like the bucket or the scrapping of the wall, pecked my curiosity. Followed by the clicking sound heard when the images switch to and from the title images; it created a dark aroma. Then when you finally see a physical person, its blurry and almost distorted. Through the point of view you can only assume that was from this child, you see a woman next to a light; which the audience finds out was the source of the clicking sound. All these elements were used in such a simple way that were fascinating. All this to create a tone of darkness and a source of tension.

I wanted to use all these kinds of techniques but alas, they were unwanted. Instead, Nick took a different approach. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, its actually not bad at all. It's just not a way I would approach the situation of the young girl, yet it is quite unique and I think that is why I liked the idea. We're taking the openings of Pulp Fiction and Goodfellas and mixing them into a rather comedic take on the story.

An opening like Pulp Fiction, where you see a couple talking ,in a restaurant, about a certain dilemma. The girl is in a excited state, almost on top of the table, explaining the problem that they happen to be in. The boy in the other hand is quiet and keeps to himself letting the female lead do all the talking. A very dialogue driven opening, I plan to have a stack of drafts by the end of three weeks.

We plan to play with sound by using foley in order to make the setting of a restaurant more believable. Not only this but the real hook to captivate the audience will be the faint beating from the car. From the couple, we pan away and start to focus on a car outside on the parking lot. As the car begins to focus and is placed in the center of the frame, the banging crescendos and the camera zooms to the insides of the car. We see a plastic mantis hanging from the mirror of the car framed on the top of the shot and the title appears.

This I based off the title image of Moonrise Kingdom. We would then start to the beginning of the story. This is where we incorporate the ideas of Goodfellas; we decided to place the middle of the film at the beginning. This decision was made in order to intrigue the audience. Giving space to ask many questions. What's that sound? What are they talking about? and Who's in the trunk? Of course these are rough ideas but I think we're making great developments.

"Pulp Fiction - Official Site - Miramax." Miramax. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Mar. 2016.
"Goodfellas." - WarnerBros.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Mar. 2016.
"ROOM - Official Movie Site - Own It Now." ROOM - Official Movie Site - Own It Now. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Mar. 2016.     

2 comments:

  1. I really like your blog.

    It is insightful and engaging.

    What I like the most about it is that you always support your posts with research. Especially on your second entry, you provide different links and visuals that aid me in the understanding of your scene construction. Not only do you provide the links to different movies, but you also explain and analyze the information provided when accessing the links. This really motivated me to view the links.

    I really like the inclusion of the “special hint” on your 6th entry. It creates a sense of trust and intimacy. It made me feel as if you were talking directly to me, and giving me valuable information.

    I can’t wait to see more posts about your filming process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blog postings are very detailed and provide great insight into the process of creating an opening film. The bouncing of one idea to the next is captivating and written with great word choice, demonstrating knowledge in the different film techniques. The inclusion of photographs and links provides a clear understanding of what kind of storyline or shot or actor this student is aiming towards. The amount of research posted up on the blog is great and shows that the student is really passionate and working hard on this project.
    Keep posting up your in depth blog posts and good luck with your film!

    ReplyDelete