Saturday, April 2, 2016

Entry 7: Location

Back from New York and back to work. From the minute I landed the mass texts reeled in with no stops. It was time to get working on filming since we didn't have a physical day on when we're filming. 

If you smell disaster, well then you're right. But the story doesn't end there.

I started the week with a terrible fever and the only thing I held dear to me was a pillow. Like the idiot I am, I decided going to school and fighting it off with A LOT of medicine would help. Well it didn't, it was safe to say that the last thing I needed was school and my partner Nick breathing down my throat.

The first problem of the week....Location.

Our ideal location was in an Italian restaurant called Bellini's. From what I understood (in Nick's vague explanation), Nick was supposed to be able to have great availability to the restaurant since he had worked there last year. If that was to somehow fall short then we had another restaurant lined up. Not what we would visually want but if we were to be in a really tight spot, we would take whatever we have. 

Now for our lesson for this entry, location is very important to us. Location helps establish story and or character, for instance you might show a bedroom to reflect the characters "type". A clean and organized room would distinguish an organized person, contrasting to a messy room with death metal posters on the wall which would reflect to a person who is edgy. As for developing story, the location helps distinguish a place. In the case of my film opening the use of a diner tells the audience that the couple is "on the run".

Now you ask....How does a diner tell the audience that they're on the run?

It's actually quite simple (yet this might be a stretch, so bare with me). You have to young characters in a diner in the early morning, not rare, but a somewhat unusual sight. You have to ask, why are these teenagers (who are supposed to look young) eating at a diner, this early? 
They have homes....they can eat there.....why this early.....????
Not only this but you have the characters quiet and whispering within themselves. 
The car is supposed to be positioned right outside the window where they are eating.

All these elements to represent one thing.....they are on the run.

Here comes the problem.

FINALLY when Nick gets the phone to officially ask the manager of the store to allow us to film, it takes the manager (with no disrespect) almost two days to answer. Of course at this point we were stressed and tensions were building. But then again he FINALLY answers and guess what everybody??? 
He gives us a day to film the entire thing in one day.
Does this seem impossible??? 
It does, doesn't it???
We agreed on the day but it's safe to say that I'm in complete panic mode. I've been trying to keep myself together just so someone isn't going completely crazy. 

Pray that we get this right.....

No comments:

Post a Comment